Forward Together. The 2021 Day of Giving theme effectively reflects our accomplishments this past fiscal year. Together we discovered, excelled, collaborated, strove for equity and created a compassionate environment. Together we continue to fulfill our mission.
Most will remember this past year in the shadow of the pandemic. However, the SIU School of Medicine community will also remember it as a time when we were surrounded by generosity, growth and innovation. We have developed new and creative ways to educate learners, serve patients and help our communities.
A few of the highlights:
- The Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) presented its inaugural ASPIRE Stellar Award to SIU School of Medicine in recognition of our commitment to excellence in a range of educational areas. SIU is one of only two medical schools in the world to have received as many as five ASPIRE to Excellence Awards from AMEE. When we tell prospective students that they will receive a world-class education here, it is not hyperbole.
- A multi-million dollar gift supporting Alzheimer’s disease research and care will transform the health care for people throughout Illinois and beyond.
- John and Jayne Simmons were honored as SIU School of Medicine’s 2021 Distinguished Donors.
- Meanwhile, remarkable and inspiring fundraising efforts continued for Simmons Cancer Institute, despite the challenges of in-person events during a pandemic.
- During uncertain financial times, our employees, alumni and friends showed their commitment to our mission on Day of Giving. Donations to the medical school exceeded $387,000.
And there is so much more.