Policy and guidelines governing appropriate use of Library facilities and resources.
Appropriate Conduct & Space Use Policy
The Medical Library provides an environment that promotes learning and collaboration while ensuring the comfort and safety of all patrons.
- Food and drink
- Food and drink in closed containers are allowed in the Medical Library except near computer or media equipment. Food waste, trash, and recyclables must be disposed of in appropriate bins.
- Unopened food left behind will be put into the student fridge.
- Unattended items
- The Medical Library is not responsible for lost or stolen items. For the safety of your belongings, do not leave them unattended at any time.
- Any personal belongings found unattended at Library open (8am) or close (6pm) will be taken to Lost and Found. High value items will be locked in a secure location until retrieved. If you notice any misplaced items, please report them to library staff.
- Noise and quiet areas
- The front half of the Library is a collaborative area. While in this area patrons may engage in conversations and group discussions at a respectful volume.
- The back of the Library (the book stacks) is a quiet area. Maintain silence in this space to support individual study. Refrain from engaging in loud conversations, phone calls, or any disruptive behavior.
- Technology and computer use
- Public Library computers are available for all patrons, space permitting.
- All computer users must abide by the usage policies of Southern Illinois University. Internet filtering has been enabled on these computers to comply with SIU usage policies. Inappropriate use by visitors may result in loss of access privileges to the Medical Library.
- Extended phone calls should be taken outside of the Library.
- When listening to audio or visual materials, use headphones to keep noise confined to your space and not disrupt nearby patrons.
- Respect for others: We expect all Library users to treat each other with respect and consideration. Disruptive behavior, harassment, or any actions that hinder others' use of the Library will not be tolerated.
Consequences for policy violations: Repeated violations of library policies may result in temporary or permanent suspension of library privileges.